Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Challenges of a 6 Life Path Number


Lately, I've been listening to the Coast to Coast AM radio program. I've been wanting to listen to it for a few years, but did not have a radio that played AM. When my church congregation had a garage sale recently, there was an old stereo in which neither the CD player nor the cassette deck worked, but the AM/FM stations worked just fine and it was only $1. All I needed was a radio that played AM. I have a stereo that no longer plays CDs and never played cassette tapes, but only picks up FM radio. I play my CDs through my TV/DVD player. One day, I'll have a nice stereo system that works, instead of using different stereos with quirky usable features.

Anyhow, my interest in Coast to Coast AM was through my dad. In the summer of 2006, after I had quit my job in Atlanta to prepare for my move west (and finish up my college biology course to get my long-overdue degree), my dad and I would listen to Coast to Coast AM every night. After years of trying to bond with my dad, it was this radio program that actually made me really appreciate my dad. Though I inherited a lot of personality quirks, habits and interests from him, I've never felt particularly close to him. My disinterest in sports might have been a big disappointment to him. I've heard him complain about how the other guys his age at church aren't interested in sports, either. Its interesting that he's like many guys in watching sports. I didn't notice until after I got out of the Navy, but nearly every guy I became good friends with (in the Navy, in church, and in college) are not big followers of sports, either. I'm completely satisfied limiting my sports watching to just big event games, such as the Superbowl, some college bowl games, the Civil War match (between in-state rival colleges), the Summer and Winter Olympics, the World Cup, and perhaps even the World Series. But to watch game after game, every weekend and during the evenings...its just too much of a commitment that I don't have time for. Not that I am really interested in low-stakes games, anyway.

For those who have never listened to Coast to Coast AM, its an odd show in which any topic is discussed. They usually focus on the paranormal, conspiracy theories, UFOs / alien abductions, Near Death Experiences, and just about anything you can think of that is usually not discussed in social groups (for fear of people thinking that you are odd). I usually don't listen to it every night. For instance, I'm not interested in the alien topics, as I don't really believe in alien abductions, though some of the accounts sound intriguingly spooky. Hey...if I saw a bug-eyed looking, four foot tall hairless species trying to take me back to its ship, I'd have no problem stabbing a knife into its eyes and killing it. My message to space aliens (if they exist) is to leave planet earth alone. I don't want any visitors on this planet!

After several days of obsessive alien coverage, Coast to Coast AM finally had a topic of great interest to me last week: Numerology! The numerologist, Glynnis, swears by it. She gave plenty of examples, using famous people, such as Al and Tipper Gore (she didn't believe that adultery was the reason that their marriage came to an end, but after enduring several stressful events, it just exhausted them and they had different goals for what they wanted to do with the rest of their lives), Johan Van Der Sloot (she believes that he is a serial killer with more dead females to be discovered), Tiger Woods, and John Edwards. Basically, her message is that people need to behave when they are in the Personal Year 8, otherwise, the truth will come to light (Tiger Woods was supposedly in his personal year 8 when the news of his numerous affairs came to light, same with John Edwards).

The numerologist answered some callers questions, and I wanted to call in but didn't hear the phone numbers on time. However, she did take two interesting calls from people in similar situation as me. One person had the same Life Path number as me and wanted to change jobs. Another was in the same Personal Year as me and wanted to move to a different city. Basically, the answers were the same: change is a good thing for a Life Path 6 and a Personal Year 9 person like me.

I "discovered" numerology in the summer of 2001, when I was tired of "being stalked" by the number 22. I had so many coincidences with that number that it pushed me to go to Barnes and Noble to look at books on numbers. I saw an "idiot's guide" to numerology and decided to do some quick numbers while in the bookstore. None of my personal numbers (this includes Soul, Personality, Life Path, Maturity, and a couple other numbers) added up to 22. I was bummed. However, at this time, I also noticed that Jack Kerouac had a lot of coincidences involving 22 as well, so I picked up a couple of books on him and written by him. I decided to buy the idiot's guide to numerology, just to see what it was all about. Didn't really expect much to come of it.

When I did the personal years breakdown, all the way back to the early 1980s, I was struck by how my life seemed to match up with what the book claimed would happen. For instance, in Personal Year 5, that's when you want to make a big change or do something bold. For me, that was 1988 and 1997. In 1988, I was in two high school plays (which was a pretty big deal for an introverted guy like me to remember lines and act in front of an audience of strangers). In 1997, I traveled a lot and moved to Utah to attend school. Another example is that by Personal Years 8 and 9, the things you wished for in Personal Year 1 will come to fruition. My examples are 1991 and 1992; and 2000 and 2001. True enough, both sets of years were amazing in what happened. In 1991, I moved back to Europe and in 1992, I fulfilled my teenage dream of staying with a French family. In 2000, I saw my dream from 1993 to work for Vice President Al Gore come true and in 2001, I finally had my own apartment (no family or roommates!).

I'm not saying that I believe that numerology is true or that it works, because I'm still skeptical about it. I also have more reasons to be skeptical because last year was Personal Year 8 for me and 2010 is Personal Year 9. No dream career or publishing contract has manifested for me. I'm not married or even in a relationship like I want to be. Something is off, or the previous examples could have very well been coincidental flukes.

Anyhow, the numerologist claims that the Life Path number is the most important one to follow, because a person will not truly be happy unless he or she is living the life that matches the "vibration" of one's Life Path number. My Life Path number is a 6. Here's what some numerology website says about a Life Path 6:

"The Life Path 6 suggests that you entered this plane with tools to become the ultimate nurturer, and a beacon for truth, justice, righteousness, and domesticity. Your paternal, or maternal, as the case may be, instincts with a 6 Life Path exceed all others by a considerable margin. Whether in the home or in the work place, you are the predominant caretaker and family head. While the 6 may assume significant responsibilities in the community, the life revolves around the immediate home and family, for this is the most domestic of numbers. Conservative principles and convictions are deeply ingrained and define your character."

Interesting. I can kind of agree that it describes me in part.

"You are idealistic and must feel useful to be happy. The main contribution you make is that of advice, service, and ever present support. You are a humanitarian of the first order. It is your role to serve others, and you start in the home environment. You are very human and realistic about life, and you feel that the most important thing in your life is the home, the family and the friends."

I also agree with the above description for the most part.

"This is the Life Path related to leadership by example and assumption of responsibility, thus, it is your obligation to pick up the burden and always be ready to help. If you are like the majority with Life Path 6, you are one who will willingly carry far more than your fair share of any load, and you are always there when needed. In doing so, you take ownership and often become an authority over the situation."

I've definitely been a "leadership by example" kind of person and have a tendency to "rebel" against leaders who don't live their values. In fact, I don't respect leaders who operate by "do as I say, not as I do." My belief is that a leader only earns the right for others to confer to his or her leadership if he or she lives his or her values. Any violation means the deal is off. They have no right to expect anyone to follow if they cannot follow their own leadership example. Too many sheeple, though, will follow any leader, even after the leader proves himself or herself incompetent, immoral, unethical, or unable to follow his or her example.

"In romance, the 6 is loyal and devoted. A caretaker type, you are apt to attract partners who are somewhat weaker and more needy than yourself; someone you can care for and protect. The main ingredient that must prevail in the relationship is complete harmony. You don't function well in stressful relationships that become challenges for you to control. It is the same with friends, you are loyal and trustworthy. But there is a tendency for you to become dominating and controlling.

It's likely you feel compelled to function with strength and compassion. You are a sympathetic and kind person, generous with personal and material resources. Wisdom, balance, and understanding are the cornerstones of your life, and these define your approach to life in general. Your extraordinary wisdom and the ability to understand the problems of others is apt to commence from an early age. This allows you to easily span the generation gap and assume an important role in life early on."

Most of this describes me...except for the being attracted to someone who is weaker and more needy than myself. I find neediness to be an unattractive quality and have been turned off by women who display this trait. Rescuing "damsels in distress" has not been my natural tendency. Sure, I like helping women out who need help, but have usually not been attracted to them because I don't view them as an equal. For example, if I'm attracted to a woman and learn that she has habitually been in relationships with one bad boy after another, my attraction to her will diminish because if she can't respect herself, why should I respect her? I would never tolerate an abusive relationship and have little sympathy for any woman who displays a "bad boy fixation" or "addiction".

"The number 6 Life Path actually produces few negative examples, but there are some pitfalls peculiar to the path. You may have a tendency to become overwhelmed by responsibilities and a slave to others, especially members of you own family or close friends. It's easy for you to fall into a pattern of being too critical of others; you also have a tendency to become too hard on yourself. The misuse of this Life Path produce tendencies for you to engage in exaggeration, over-expansiveness, and self-righteousness. Modesty and humility may not flow easily. Imposing one's views in an interfering or meddling way must be an issue of concern."

As for the above...yeah, I admit, that's all true. The "shadow side" of Life Path 6! I can be or experience all of those things.

In another book I read about a Life Path 6, the numerologist claimed that since 6 is the "natural vibration" for marriage (in fact, the Life Path 6 is the most favorable number for a long-lasting marriage), people who are Life Path 6 but not married indicates a few things: "traumatized by a past love, unrealistic expectations in partners; or have focused their devotion on something else (such as a pet, a cause, or one's parents). From what I read, a Life Path 6 NEEDS to be in a relationship or to have something to care for (hmmm, I've always wanted a Golden Retriever, but haven't had the opportunity to live in a dwelling that allows a dog of that size).

Many descriptions from various numerology books I've skimmed seem to indicate the same thing: a person with a Life Path 6 makes the best kind of parent. Really? I've often thought so, as I believe I would make an awesome dad. I have a lot of theories on how to raise children that I'd love to have the opportunity to put those theories to the test (one such example: I'm against "indoctrinating" children into religious dogmas, as I'd much rather hear what a child has to say about spirituality and encourage independent thinking from a young age).

What is the recommended career option for Life Path 6? A few examples I've come across include nursing, teaching, counseling, owning a business, working for oneself, social worker. Not surprising. I definitely need a job where I don't work for tyrannical leaders who are hypocritical. I'd love to run my own non-profit organization (hear that, Oregon Lottery?!?). Being a counselor or psychologist was something I should have considered when I was in college, rather than be distracted by my love of politics and dream of working for Vice President Gore. A writing career, of course, would be perfect. This are hard-to-get careers, though. My immediate goal is to GET THE HELL OUT OF MY CURRENT JOB NOW!!! None of those suggestions will help me much, as several of them require going back to school, which I swore I would not do until I was debt free.

Its interesting, though, that Life Path 6 is the "devoted family man" number in numerology, because my "Soul Number" is a 5, which is the "vibrational number" of a vagabond, a gypsy, a journeyman, a traveler, an adventurer. After three years in a place, I ALWAYS feel a strong urge to bolt. It is very uncomfortable to be "stuck" in a place (such as a deadend, low wage job that I hate) when my every impulse and desire is shouting "run!!!" More importantly, though, how to reconcile the conflicting desires of my soul's natural impulse (travel and adventure) with my Life Path (to provide for a family)? Maybe that's why I'm in such a pickle. Both energy forces are in conflict with one another and has brought my life into a complete meltdown with this current job that I have endured for nearly four years now.

Today marks the first of the three deadlines I gave myself. There's unlikely to be a job offer by day's end, though. I haven't even been called for an interview with the political job I had applied to. All I want is an interview so I can have a chance to really sell myself in a way that my resume and cover letter probably does not do justice to. On a positive note, though, I got a strong indication that I should stay in Portland. Best friend Nathan called me on Tuesday morning and indicated that he had talked to his wife about where to settle after he retires (in 2013 or 2014). They decided on Oregon, rather than Texas. Its not too surprising, as one of Nathan's brothers lives in a Portland-suburb, and his other two brothers live in Seattle (because of him, as a matter of fact). I'd love to live in the same geographic area as him...because he is a much better friend in person than long-distance (meaning he's more into the personal interractions than keeping in touch).

So, what this means is that I have until my second deadline of July 31st to land a new job in Portland. Time to up my game. Perhaps it is time to play up my "Life Path 6 skills" so that I can find a job that is more in line with my natural values. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities, as well, in which I can utilize those abilities (such as my interest in wanting to help out the Burmese refugees). However, it is difficult to feel good on a daily basis when my energy is drained daily at work by having to work for an obsessive-compulsive control freak who had two more dramatic episodes this past week. If I can finally escape the clutches of this psychotic lady, my personal energy level will skyrocket into a cloud of blissful euphoria. I'm long overdue to experience the happiest day of my life, which will likely be the day I finally walk out of here into a promising new job.

The picture below is interesting, because as a child, Ernie was my favourite Muppet on Sesame Street. My brother liked Bert, and we kind of resembled our favourite Muppet. My mom thought Ernie was a bad example for me and preferred Bert, who is often subjected to Ernie's sarcastic and cruel joking. Hey, I can't help it. I like a little mischief. It makes life much more interesting. As for numerology...I think its interesting as a tool to help you find your natural abilities and what to focus on in a given year, but I would not base my life goals on it or even swear by it.


No comments: