Monday, February 11, 2013

Music Video Monday: Duran Duran


This week's music video is by Duran Duran, which was my favorite band back in 1984. Their song "Union of the Snake" is the perfect song to usher in the Chinese Year of the Snake. I always loved their cinematic quality of their music videos. They, along with Michael Jackson and Madonna helped to make MTV the #1 station among teenagers in the 1980s.

Last week at work, I had to product review yet another upcoming DVD release that has about 6 "documentaries" dealing with various conspiracies. One of the more interesting documentaries on the DVD is about they symbolism and long history of "serpent worship". I watched it, quite riveted. I had no idea. The narrator claimed that once you are aware of how the snake is used in all kinds of mythologies and religious stories, you'll begin to see them everywhere. In the Biblical story of Adam and Eve, there was the talking snake that convinced Eve to partake of the forbidden fruit from the Tree of Knowledge (of good and evil). There's also the story of Moses turning a snake into a staff. From Greek mythology, there's Medusa with her head full of snakes. Cleopatra committed suicide with Marc Anthony with a snake bite (an asp). In Meso-American culture, there's Quatzalcoatl, the plumed serpent. In some Southern Baptist or Assemblies of God churches in the South, there are snake handlers, who grab poisonous snakes as a testament of faith.

One of the best advice I've ever gotten was from a Navy chaplain when I was stationed in Italy. He would say to me often, "Be as wise as a serpent and appear harmless of a dove." I had no idea what he was talking about at the time. It wasn't until years later, when dealing with office gossip that I learned just how true those words are. I have learned that people seem threatened by someone they consider to be intelligent. The common misperception of me is that people seem to think I'm much smarter than I really am (one lady on Facebook thought I was smart enough to join MENSA, which I know that I am not). To de-emphasize this, I often play the clown or say something people think is stupid, just to take their impression of me down a notch or two. When people think you aren't bright, you can fly under the radar. I like that.

Anyhow, it will be interesting to see how the Year of the Snake will play out. Hopefully, it will be a great year...especially for me, personally. There's stuff that I want to do this year.

1 comment:

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

That DVD about serpent worship sounds fascinating. When and where can we buy it? See it?